Amador PTSA Volunteer Opportunities
Parents can volunteer to support teachers, staff, and students in a variety of ways during the year. Some choose to get engaged on an ongoing basis by participating in a committee, while others volunteer on a short-term basis to support a specific campus event.
Please express your willingness to volunteer by contacting the Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Specific Event Support
- Volunteer Coordinator: Helps all committee chairs find volunteers for their events. Maintains a list or database with the names, contact information, availability, and interests of volunteers to contact during the year.
- Walk-Through Registration: Help for one or more shifts at the PTSA table, signing up members and collecting donations.
- Back to School Night: Help direct parents and sell PTSA memberships.
- Spirit Wear Sales at the Pigskin Roast: The Booster Club sponsors this annual barbecue event typically before the first home varsity football game for AVHS clubs to sell their spirit wear. We have a PTSA booth at this event to sell our spirit gear.
- Coat Check at Dances: Collect students’ coats, purses, etc., at AVHS dances 2 or 3 times a year.
- Newsletter Editor: Work with the Communications VP to produce the AV Express e-newsletter. Great for a student or member interested in communications and marketing.
- Website Coordinator: Help redesign the website and keep it updated. Great for a student or member interested in web design and management.
- College Night: Help direct student and parents and exhibitors for College Night.
- Exit Exam: Distribute test blanks to sophomore students for about one hour in the morning.
- Staff Appreciation Luncheon: Help plan and decorate for staff luncheon.
- SAT/ACT Practice Test: Coordinate SAT & ACT practice test sessions for students.
- Scholarship Ceremony Chair: Help coordinate the AVHS scholarship ceremony. Work with administration to decorate the venue, and coordinate volunteers — including student ushers, lobby greeters, and cleanup crew — to help that evening. Provide snacks and water to the presenters backstage.
- Senior Awards Ceremony: Help decorate the venue and provide backstage support at this ceremony for students receiving community scholarships. We will need a Committee Chair for spring.
- Graduation Ceremony Chair: Work with administration to help decorate the stage at graduation. This includes trees/greenery on loan from Alden Lane and 30 Purple and Gold big bows. Front and side gate wristband checkers and handicap parking monitors are also needed.
- Graduation Ceremony: Help with decorating the stage and other logistical tasks.
The committees below always welcome volunteers to assist the chairs (listed on the Roster page).
- Legislative Affairs: Keep up to date on state and national PTA efforts to advocate on behalf of children and youth to the state legislature and the US Congress. Mobilize parents and students to support those PTA advocacy efforts. Attend school board meetings when agenda items relevant to Amador are discussed. Report to the PTSA board on major issues being discussed in the district office. Visit Sacramento with other PTA members to meet with our elected representatives. Participate in the San Ramon legislative summit each spring.
- Fundraising: Encourage parents to sign up for Amazon Smile and other online programs that donate a portion of parent purchases back to Amador PTSA. Design, coordinate, and execute any fundraisers appropriate for our high school with support from other parent volunteers.
- Crisis and Caring: Coordinate allocation of funds with PTSA, Amador counselors, and Amador principal to meet the needs of Amador families.
- Hospitality: Provide homemade or purchased desserts for staff appreciation luncheons or principal coffees.
- Grant Review: Help process and review student and teacher grants submitted to PTSA in the fall. Meets 2 or 3 times a year to choose recipients.
- Reflections Arts Program: Publicize the program to AVHS students and art teachers, arrange for judging of student entries, and coordinate recognition ceremony in the fall. Display artwork in the library, and take down the display once the program has concluded.
- Scholarship Committee: Read and score the applications for senior students who are applying for one of the $500 PTSA scholarships. Must not be a parent of a senior student.
- Wellness Committee: Promote and educate Amador students and their families on teen health issues.